Flight attendants are the largest group of employees in any airline the world over. They play an important role in the aviation industry. They help passengers feel comfortable and safe during flights. Being hired as a flight attendant without the relevant training is extremely difficult. However, because aviation industry is continually growing , demands for its products and services, including flight attending, will continue to rise. With the advent of new business jets and such products as light sport aircraft, flight attendants services will always be needed. If you have ever wanted to how become a flight attendant, the time is now.
GUIDELINES ON HOW TO BECOME A FLIGHT ATTENDANT / STEWARDESS
1. General Requirements
- You should have a clean record as far as crime is concerned. However, the number of years that you need to have stayed without having committed any crime varies from country to country. In the USA, the minimum number of years is ten.
- As far as education is concerned, a minimum of a high school diploma or a GED is required.
- You should have attained the age of 18 years.
2. Know what the job entails
You need to aware that flight attendants are care givers, safety providers, as well as customer service professionals. Their work is to ensure that passengers have a safe and comfortable flight. Their duties include:
- Greeting passengers when they are boarding the plane as well as thanking them when they are exiting.
- Helping passengers get their seats and stowing their luggage in the overhead bins.
- Presenting the airline’s safety procedures to the passengers.
- Serving the passengers food and beverages.
- Giving answers to passengers’ questions as well as calming passengers who may be anxious or upset.
- In case of an emergency, they are responsible for guiding the passengers to safety as well as administering first aid where necessary.
3. Physical Requirements
Each airline has specific physical requirements tailored according to the dimensions of their planes. Airlines have to make sure that their flight attendants are of the right height so that they can reach the overhead bins. They also want to make sure that their flight attendants are able to fit properly in the plane’s seats and buckle the seat belt without problems.
4. Requirements for success at the Flight Attendant school
For you to be successful in your training as a flight attendant, you need to possess the following characteristics:
- Have ability to multitask,
- Have the ability to connect with people,
- Be adaptable and flexible to lifestyle change,
- Be assertive,
- Possess customer service skills,
- Be energetic,
- Have professionalism,
- Be independent: You will have to navigate new places alone and be a person who can enjoy being alone away from family and friends.
- Be outgoing: You need to have the ability to enjoy new experiences as well as finding something great in various cities that you visit.
- You should be generous with space and time: This is because flight attendants do not get enough personal space. You will have to share your quarters with your colleagues while on long trips. Additionally, you will have to put the interest of the customers first even when you are exhausted. This means that you need to be a person who can always maintain a cheerful attitude and able to uplift others in uncomfortable circumstances.
After successfully going through your training at the flight flight school, the airline that hires you will require you to pass its specific training requirements.
5. Learning how to become a flight attendant at the Flight Attendant School
Flight attendants primary responsibility is safety and the comfort of passengers. At the Flight attendant school you will be required to learn about all major airplane safety procedures. This includes making emergency announcements and how to stow away luggage, among other things. Additionally, you will be required to develop excellent customer service skills. Here below are important topics that you will be required to cover:
- Airline terminology,
- Airport codes,
- First aid,
- Aircraft configuration,
- Emergency procedures
- Aviation regulations,
- Airline opens review as well as questions,
- International geography,
- Interview preparation as well as resume writing.
- 24 Hour clock,
- Airline call letters,
- Daylight savings,
- How to get a job as a flight attendant.
Knowing how to become a flight attendant can give you an added advantage since this knowledge can help you pass job interviews. Additionally, learn some foreign languages such as French, Italian, Germany, Japanese, Kiswahili, and Arabic, among others. This gives you an edge over other candidates. Having another professional qualification on the side, such as a degree nursing, is very appealing to many airlines.